The Wilson County School System serves 12,105 students, including those from the City of Wilson, in three modern high schools, six middle schools, and 13 elementary schools. In addition to its public schools, the County is also home to Greenfield School, Wilson Christian Academy, and Community Christian School. The Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf, a public residential school for deaf children from kindergarten through grade 12, is also located in Wilson.
Vocational education is available at Wilson Technical Community College. Higher education is available at Barton College, a private four-year liberal art institution.
Wilson Community College: 2 year college transfer degrees in a variety of fields customized training for industry; serves 11,400 students annually.
Barton College Enrollment: 4 year liberal arts college; offers weekend college; international focus; serves 1300 students annually
Colleges within close proximity to Wilson include:
- Campbell University
- Chowan College
- Duke University
- Elizabeth City State University
- Fayetteville State University
- Louisburg College
- Meredith College
- Methodist College
- North Carolina Central University
- North Carolina State University
- Shaw University
- St. Andrews Presbyterian College
- University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
- University of North Carolina – Pembroke
- University of North Carolina – Wilmington